GOAL OF THE PROGRAMME
The course is designed to equip students with the skills necessary to assist addressing community needs and challenges. These students will be equipped with knowledge on managing projects and facilitating entrepreneurial skills to transform communities and enable sustainable development.
Objectives of the programme
- To enhance solutions to the challenges facing the people in their effort to attain sustainable development among diversified communities
- To influence community participation in projects.
- To produce graduates who can influence engagement with other development partners in promoting sustainable development
- To equip students with knowledge on monitoring and evaluation to assess projects implemented in diverse communities
- To engage with communities to identify development needs and alert development partners to channel projects in diverse communities.
- Engage in research to enrich the country with gaps and knowledge thereby enhancing programme developement
Total Credits Offered for the Program
This degree will be awarded upon completion of between 132 and 144 credits, which includes internship, within the duration of four years. Students in this programme are required to take a minimum of 42 credit courses composed of four eight (8) MAGU Distinctive courses, and twenty four (24) concentration courses in community development.
- Internship has 6 credits and students will be attached in institutions dealing with children for 12 to 16 weeks. Internship takes place in the first semester of the third year.
- All students on internship must be physically present at the institutions they will be attached to during the entire duration of the internship.
- Students on internship are expected to respect the rules and regulations of the Malawi Assemblies of God University and the Code of Ethics at the institutions they will be attached to.
To be offered on both regular and ODL basis, to meet students on once a month basis.
Summary of Programs Route Map
|COURSE TITLE||CONTACT HOURS||CREDIT
|MAGU||MDC 1013:Church and Culture
MDC1023: Old Testament
|EDF||COM 1013: Communication skills||40||20||60||3.0|
|COM 1023: Information and communications Technology||40||20||60||3.0|
|CONCENTRATION||COD 1013: Introduction to community Development||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD 1023: Social issues in contemporary Malawi||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD 1033: Introduction to social work||40||20||60||3.0|
|MAGU||MDC1033:Essentials of Christianity||40||20||60||3.0|
|CONCENTRATION||COD 1043: Young people in a global community||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD 1053: Community cultural development||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD1063: Sociology and the community||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD 1073: Community Development and Health||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD 1083: Community Economic Development: Local and International||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD 1093: Gender and Development||40||20||60||3.0|
|MAGU||MDC 2013: Human development and Relationships
MDC2023: Christian world views
|CONCENTRATION||COD 2013: HIV/AIDS and Community Development||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD 2023: Group Dynamics||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD 2033: Mobilizing Resources for Community Development||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD 2043: Conflict resolution in groups and communities||40||20||60||3.0|
|MAGU||MDC2043New Testament literature||40||20||60||3.0|
|CONCENTRATION||COD 2053: Demography and Economic Development||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD 2063: Housing Policy and Development||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD 2073: Research Methods in Social Science||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD 2083: Community Development: Local and International practices||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD 2093: Communication and Behavior change||40||20||60||3.0|
|MAGU||MDC3013: Effective Public Communication||40||20||60||3.0|
|CONCENTRATION||COD 3013: Research Project and Proposal Writing||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD 3023: Functional Literacy||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD 3033: Global Environmental Issues||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD 3043: Food Security and Community Development||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD 3043: Community Policy and Law||40||20||60||3.0|
|MAGU||MDC3023: Pentecost: Personal and community Empowerment||40||20||60||3.0|
|CONCENTRATION||COD 3053: Community-Based Practice and Research||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD/ECD 3063 : Social Psychology||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD 3073: Project design and Implementation||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD 3083: Natural Resource Management||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD 3093: Community Planning and Change||40||20||60||3.0|
|MAGU||MDC4013: Foundation of professional Excellence||40||20||60||3.0|
|CONCENTRATION||COD 4013: Research Project and Proposal writing||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD 4023: Intercultural Histories of Communities||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD 4033: Community Planning, Engagement and Sustainability||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD 4043: Project and Program Management||40||20||60||3.0|
|COD 4053: Community Development from Local to Global||40||20||60||3.0|